Part 4: VirtualDub FAQ
Here is a quick VirtualDub FAQ to save your time searching the Internet.
1. How do I get MPEG-2 Support in VirtualDub?
MPEG-2 is not supported by VirtualDub. However, it can be frameservered to VirtualDub using an avs script. Other solutions are to use VirtualDubMod or fccHandlers MPEG2 mod.
2. What does "Pack Synchronization Error" Mean?
It means one of two possibilities:
1. You have an MPEG-2 file, which VirtualDub doesn't support. See previous question for possible solutions.
2. You have an MPEG-1 file that is corrupted. VirtualDub's MPEG-1 parser is intolerant to errors compared to its AVI parser, so unfortunately there is no easy solution to this problem.
3. Why VirtualDub Say No Capture Device?
VirtualDub needs a Video for Windows (VFW) capture driver to capture. Most Firewire (DV) devices do not provide such driver, and thus cannot be used by VirtualDub at all. If your device has a Windows Driver Model driver (WDM), this can be used indirectly by VirtualDub through a Microsoft wrapper (shown as "Microsoft WDM Image Capture (Win32)"), but it's crippled in functionality and it also appears that the wrapper is buggy.