iPhoto Backup: What's the Best Way to Backup iPhoto?
iPhoto is the built-in photo manager that not only helps you organize and edit your photos, but also let you get more from these photos by making photo books, greeting cards and slideshows. From this point, iPhoto doesn't store digital photos. Instead, it saves your memories.
So losing years of pictures stored in iPhoto is definitely a disaster. Just imagine your baby's first smile and first step photo, your daughter's graduation photos, as well as the happiest moment with your family and friends - all gone. But wait a minute; why not backup iPhoto so as to make this never happen?
The Easiest Way: Backup iPhoto to External Hard Drive
What you need to backup iPhoto to external hard drive (HD) is only a reliable hard drive and a blank CD/DVD disc. And follow easy steps below:
1. Shutdown iPhoto if it opens.
2. Connect your external hard drive to your Mac (Mountain Lion icnluded) using firewire cable or USB cable depend on your hard drive.
3. Your external hard drive should be recognized by Mac and mounted. If not, install the necessary driver or refer to the user manual.
4. Find your iPhoto library by going to Home (User Name) -> Pictures -> iPhoto Library, and drag-drop to the external hard drive window.
5. Rename the original iPhoto Library to iPhoto Library.old or something else.
6. Hold down the Option key and open iPhoto. You will be prompted to select what photo library to use. Select the iPhoto Library (on external hard drive).
7. iPhoto should load all your photos from external hard drive. Before you get iPhoto Library.old delete, double check your photos.
8. Delete the iPhoto Library.old to release space, or keep it for a few days just in case something is wrong.
The Official Way: Backup iPhoto to CD/DVD
iPhoto comes with easy burning option to backup your iPhoto images to CD/DVD. Here is how:
2.Select the photos you want to backup to CD / DVD. You can select the entire library, a single album or event, or just a few photos. Highlight the item you want to back-up by clicking it. You can select multiple events, albums, or photos by holding down the Shift key while you click. Note that the number of photos to backup to CD/DVD is restricted by the capacity of the CD or DVD disc. A CD can hold up to 700 MB of data; a DVD can hold up to 4.7 GB.
3.Go to Share -> Burn from the iPhoto menu, and follow instructions on screen. You need to insert CD/DVD disc and input disc name.
4.Click Burn to backup iPhoto to CD/DVD. When it is complete, store your finished disc in a safe place – keep dry and out of baby's touch.
More about iPhoto Backup:
1.Actually there is a new iPhoto backup method: backup iPhoto online, such as Flickr, or other professional online service like BackupRight.
2.For non-backup purpose, you can also burn your photos to a DVD slideshow using iDVD, which can play a slideshow of photos on computers and in most home DVD players. Simply choose Share -> iDVD from the iPhoto menu. iDVD will automatically launch to complete your DVD project in that program.