Before we begin, a quick note on torrent files. According to Wikipedia, a torrent file contains the URLs of many trackers; an integral metadata about all of the media files to be downloaded and the additional metadata defined in extensions to the BitTorrent specification as well. In other words, a torrent file is just a container of data which enables BitTorrent to find the target and complete the download. However, it does not contains media content at all. Therefore, when we're talking about 'play torrent files', we actually mean the downloaded media file(s), the extensions of which are usually in the AVI, MKV or MP4 format. Alright, now that you know a bit about torrents, let's get started.
NO.1: Video Converter - A Versatile Torrent Player
The Wondershare Video Converter (Video Converter for Mac), is more than a versatile torrent player. You can download the trial version free of charge and play your torrent files that's stored in various formats. If you want to get the most out of the torrent files such as video conversion, video download, video editing or burning a DVD or etc., you can do all things directly on it.
- With various decodes and encodes in, you don't need to install any codecs or plug-ins when playing virtually any file formats (surely including AVI, MKV, MP4 and etc).
- Cross-platform: Windows 8/7/XP/Vista; Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
- Snapshot: you can take snapshot of your favorite scene when playing torrent files.
- Downloading: you can download videos from YouTube and other video-sharing sites
- Recording: if the websites you are watching don't allow downloading, you can press Record to get a good quality recording.
- Common editing functions: trim, crop, split, add subtitles and etc.
- Powerful conversion with lossless quality and high compatibility: you can convert your downloaded torrent file to a full list of common video or audio and HD video; also a variety of devices such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod, HTC, BlackBerry, iRiver, Zen and etc.
(Note: for free trial version, there'll be watermark fter conversion)
NO.2: Wondershare Player- A Free and Easy-to-use Torrent Player
The Wondershare Player is lightweight, powerful and can play almost any media format out there. Other than to play DVDs, it can also be used as an audio decoder. On top of that, it doesn’t require any external or extra codecs to run.
- Reliable playback of different multimedia files including DVD, HD video, SD video and audio; with no additional codecs or plug-ins needed.
- Blazing-fast playback of all the media files with the advanced Extreme X technology; videos start playing instantly and seamlessly.
- Deliver theater-like enjoyments with breakthrough sights; enjoy sparkling HD quality with sharp details, smooth motions and vivid colors.
- Intuitive designs with uncluttered interface; provides more functions and settings for control right at your fingertips.
NO.3: VLC - A Universal Torrent Player
VLC, first released in 2000 is new compared to other media players, but it's also one of the most popular. It's a must-have torrent player and you'll often hear VLC when asking someone about their favorite media player.
- An open-source, highly-portable free media player.
- Cross-platform: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS and etc.
- A vast array of supported formats including the AVI, MKV, MP4, 3GP, ASF and virtually all common and popular formats, especially for stream video downloaded from the Internet.
- Due to its packet-based structure, it can play the video content even if it's damaged, incomplete or unfinished (i.e. you can play the torrent movie while it's still downloading)
NO.4: KMplayer - A Stylish Torrent Player
KMplayer, also known as K-Multimedia Player, it's a lightweight audio and video player for Windows (Win2000/XP/2003/Vista/7). It's totally free and supports a wide range of different file formats including the AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, FLV and much more.
- Brilliant interface: clean and cool. You can quickly access the options of the video player within a few clicks.
- Highly customizable: you can set many audio and video effects (i.e. 3D), slow down or increase playback speed, select parts of a video as favorites, do various A-B repeats, select your favorite skins and color schemes.
- Playback is flawless: with the best of video processing technologies, it gives you an unprecedented experience to play your torrent files.