10 Ways to Clean Junk Files from iPhone
Cleaning junk files from your iPhone is no longer a hassle. You can easily get this done using any of the procedures given below:
Many times a simple restart improves the performance of your iPhone as it closes all the opened apps and removes the temporary files and junk data from the memory automatically. To restart your iPhone:
- Long press the Sleep/Wake button on your iPhone.
- Once the slide to power off message appears on the screen, tap and drag the displayed Power button to the left.
- Wait until your iPhone powers off completely.
- Once done, wait for another 10 seconds and long press the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
After you have used your iPhone for a couple of days and you start experiencing its decreased performance, you can close all the opened apps without restarting your phone. When the opened apps are closed, all their corresponding temporary files are erased from the memory as well. To close all the opened apps:
1. From the Home screen of your iPhone, double-press the Home button.
2. Once the thumbnails of all the opened apps are displayed, tap and drag each thumbnail upwards to close the corresponding app.
3. Repeat step 2 for each of the displayed thumbnail until you are left only with the one representing the Home screen. (This one cannot be removed.)
4. Press the Home button again to get back to the normal view and start using your iPhone normally.
Most of the times the cookies and history of the websites you visited consume a considerable amount of space in your iPhone’s storage. Removing such information remarkably improves the overall performance of the device. To clear the history and website data from the Settings window:
1. From the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
2. Locate and tap the Safari app from the Settings window.
3. From the Safari window, from under the PRIVACY & SECURITY section, tap Clear History and Website Data.
4. From the confirmation box that pops up, tap Clear History and Data.
Note: This method is most effective when you use third-party web browsers like Opera, Chrome, etc. along with Safari which is the default browser in iPhones.
If you use only Safari for surfing the web on your iPhone, you can also clear the history and website data from within the web browser itself. To clear the history and website data from Safari:
1. From the Home screen of your iPhone, tap the Safari icon to open the web browser.
2. From the bottom of the opened Safari’s interface, tap the bookmark icon (represented by the symbol of an opened book).
3. From the Bookmarks window, tap History from the displayed list.
4. From the bottom of the History window, tap Clear.
5. Once the Clear history confirmation box appears, tap Clear All History to clean all the junk files collected in your phone.
Many times the installed apps create or collect junk data either from themselves while in use of from the Internet. Since Apple does not allow you to remove such data independently unless you use a third-party app, deleting the culprit app altogether from the iPhone removes all the junk files as well. You can reinstall the app after removing it which, although resets all your custom preferences back to default, cleans the memory and improves the overall performance of your phone without any trouble. To remove an app from your iPhone:
1. From the Home screen, tap Settings.
2. From the Settings interface, locate and tap the General option.
3. Once the General window opens up, locate and tap Usage.
4. From the bottom of the Usage window, tap Manage Storage.
5. On the Storage window, from the displayed list of installed apps, tap the one with highest data usage (or the one you think is the reason behind sluggish performance of your iPhone). (Messenger is picked for demonstration here.)
6. From the app’s interface, tap Delete App.
7. Once the confirmation box comes up, tap Delete App.
If you have played with your iPhone for long and the installed apps have collected a considerable amount of ‘debris’, resetting your phone back to default would be your best bet. To reset your iPhone to remove all the junk data:
1. From the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
2. From the Settings window, tap General.
3. From the bottom of the displayed General window, tap Reset.
4. Once the Reset window comes up, tap Erase All Content and Settings.
5. From the confirmation box that pops up, tap Erase iPhone.
PhoneClean is a third-party app to clean junk files from your iPhone. To clean unwanted data from your iPhone using PhoneClean:
- Download PhoneClean from the http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/ URL.
- After downloading, install the program on your Windows or Mac PC.
- Launch PhoneClean by double-clicking its icon.
- From the opened interface, click Quick Clean.
- From the next window, select the type of files or data that you want to clean.
- Click Start Scan and follow the on-screen instructions from there to scan and remove the junk files from your iPhone.
Solution 08 – Clear Junk Files and Unused Apps with Wondershare SafeEraser
Yet another and probably the most efficient tool in the market to clear junk data and unused apps from your iPhone. To clear junk files and other unused apps from your iPhone using Wondershare SafeEraser:
1. Download Wondershare SafeEraser below for Windows or Mac respectively.
2. As per the platform of the operating system installed on your PC, install the Wondershare SafeEraser on your computer using the regular installation process.
3. Launch Wondershare SafeEraser by double-clicking its icon.
4. On the first interface, when prompted, connect your iPhone to your PC using the USB data cable that came along with it.
5. Wait until the required drivers for the connected phone are installed.
6. Once done, from the displayed options, click the 1-Click Cleanup option (button with a sweeper symbol).
7. Wait until Wondershare SafeEraser scans for the log files, synch cache files, video and audio log files, and unused apps on your iPhone.
8. Once the files are found, check or uncheck the checkboxes representing the file types that you want to remove or keep respectively.
9. Finally click the CleanUp button from the bottom to remove the unwanted files from your iPhone.
10. Wait until the selected objects are removed from your iPhone.
Battery Doctor is a free app to clear the junk files from your iPhone. To optimize your iPhone using Battery Doctor:
1. Download Battery Doctor from the https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-doctor-must-have-battery/id615987910 link.
2. Install the program on your iPhone.
3. Launch Battery Doctor by tapping its icon from the Home screen.
4. When prompted, accept the license agreement.
5. Once done, from the bottom of the opened main interface of the app, tap the Junk option.
6. From the Junk window, tap the CLEAN UP CACHE button.
7. Once the Caution box pops up, tap Clean.
8. Wait until the junk files are being scanned and removed from your iPhone.
In addition to clearing junk files from your iPhone, Battery Doctor also boosts your phone’s memory. To do so:
1. Follow the steps from 1 to 4 described in Solution 06 to download, install, launch Battery Doctor, and accept the license agreement.
2. From the bottom of the opened interface, tap the Memory option.
3. On the Memory Boost window, wait until Battery Doctor scans the memory and looks for the unwanted information that can be removed from your iPhone.
4. Once the app completes the scanning process, tap BOOST.
5. Wait until Battery Doctor boosts the phone’s memory by removing the temporary files and other junk data from your iPhone.
6. Once the process completes, tap Done.
Cleaning up your iPhone’s memory by clearing the junk files and other unwanted ‘debris’ is important. You can use any of the above methods to optimize your iPhone and to use your phone efficiently.