Nowadays, almost any computer can play DVD movies (either commercial or homemade DVDs) as long as there is a built-in DVD drive. But what about Blu-ray movies? Can your PC render this high definition movie formats without any complications? This article will tell you the truth so that you can start your Blu-ray era in your living room or share it with friends who have such problems.
Does your computer meet the specs. for playing back Blu-ray movies?
Below are the basic system requirements to play a Blu-ray disc on a Windows-based PC. Please double-check whether your computer meets the outlined requirements before trying attempting to watch your Blu-ray movies.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7, Vista and XP.
- Processor (CPU): Pentium 4 541 (3.2 GHz), Athlon 64 X2 3800+, AMD Fusion E-series, C-series or above.
- Graphics Processor (GPU on Card): Intel G45, ATI Radeon HD 2400, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT or above.
- Memory: 2 GB required for Vista and Windows 7; 1 GB required for Windows XP.
- Hard Disk Space: 100-500 MB for Blu-ray player installation.
- Disc Player: BD-ROM/BD-RE or Super Multi Blu combo disc drive.
- Display Device (optional): To play Blu-ray movie on TV, HDCP compliant TV and video cards are required. That means DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort or other connectors are provided on both sides.
Cyberlink provides a BD & 3D Advisor to diagnose your computer to see whether it's compatible for playing back a Blu-ray disc on your PC. However, it's not very accurate. Hence, it's better for you to look or read into more possible options before acting upon it.
What would you need?
If you have a powerful enough computer, all you need now is a Blu-ray player! In the Blu-ray players' market; the PowerDVD Ultra, WinDVD and TotalMediaTheater are the top 3 players. Therefore, you can probably guess the costs that comes with it. However, there's also plenty of free solutions out there. For example; the DAPlayer. You can simply download it here.
Play Blu-ray on PC directly
Everything's in place? DVD drive and player all ready, set to go? It's time to try it out! If the Blu-ray drive works well and the disc has not been damaged, the Blu-ray movies WOULD naturally show up on your screen. Now you can sit back and enjoy your high quality Blu-ray movies.
Play Blu-ray on PC via Virtual Drive
Have you downloaded any Blu-ray contents and tried to play it on your PC? Is your player prompting up with the most unpleasant and annoying error messages? Is it saying that your Blu-ray player doesn't support hard drive files playback? Don't worry, we can help you out on this one too. One of the solutions is to create an ISO file image and then mount it as a computer drive using the virtual drive software. For this case, Daemon Tools Lite is highly recommended and it's free, but only for home use. Once it's downloaded, try to mount your Blu-ray movie again. This time round, your Blu-ray player will be able to recognize the virtual drive and playback as normal.
Recommended Blu-ray creator---Wondershare DVD creator
- Supports almost any popular input video formats.
- Burn all video formats to Blu-ray discs such as BD-R, BD-RE, BD-25 and BD-50
- Creates a professional BD/DVD with the 40 + professionally designed menu templates.
- Personalizes videos and menu templates before burning Disc.
- Enables you to share the created BD/DVD with your friends and family.
- Supported OS: Windows 2003/XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9