- 1 Recover Data from different Hard Drive Types
- External hard drive recovery
- HDD recovery
- SSD recovery
- NTFS recovery
- Unformat NTFS hard drive
- SATA recovery
- Raid recovery
- IDE recovery
- Fat recovery
- exFat recovery
- Raw hard drive recovery
- Virtual disk recovery
- 2 Recover data from different systems/devices
- Linux hard drive recovery
- Laptop data recovery
- Partition recovery
- Seagate external hard drive recovery
- Seagate Expansion data recovery
- WD My Passport recovery
- WD External hard drive file recovery
- Lacie dard disk data recovery
- WD Element data recovery
- Freecom external hard drive recovery
- Buffalo external hard drive recovery
- G-Technology external hard rrive recovery
- Dell hard drive data recovery
- Fantom external hard drive data recovery
- Acomdata hard drive data recovery
- Fujitsu hard drive data recovery
- Iomega hard disks recovery
- Toshiba Canvio data recovery
- Micronet data recovery
- Rocster data recovery
- Buslink data recovery
- Crucial M4 data recovery
- Calvary hard drive data recovery
- Simpletech hard drive data recovery
- Kingston SSD recovery
- Apricorn Aegis data recovery
- HP hard disk data recovery
- Maxtor hard drive data recovery
- Hitachi hard drive data recovery
- Toshiba hard drive data recovery
- Panasonic hard drive data recovery
- 3 Repair and Save your hard disk
- Hard disk repair
- Clone hard drive
- Clone SSD
- Hard disk mirroring
- Wipe hard drive
- Erase hard drive
- Fix hard drive
- Fix bad sectors
- Replace hard drive
- Recover data from crashed hard drive
- Unformat hard drive
- Convert NTFS to FAT
- Partition external hard drive
- Use hard drive recovery partition
- Local hard drive recovery service
- Disk Repair Software
- Hard drive recovery tools
- Top hard drive recovery software
- Perform SSD Recovery at ease
- Hard drive password recovery
- Migrate OS to new hard drive
- Hard drive diagnostics
- Hard disk partition
- Recover files from crashed external hard drive
- 4 Recover data from Mac OS
- Recovery HD
- Mac Hard Drive Recovery
- Macbook Pro Hard Drive Recovery
- iMac Hard Drive Recovery
- Mac External Hard Drive Recovery
- Recover formatted Mac Hard Drive
- Mac Disk Data Recovery
- 5 Problems with hard drive
how to recover data from external hard disk Not Detected
1Can I Recover Data If Hard Disk is Not Detected?
I have a Western Digital external hard drive that is not detected by Windows anymore. When I plug it in, the hard drive does not show up on "My Computer" but it does show up on Disk. I know there is something wrong with my hard disk. But I do need my data on that hard drive. Can I do it?
Well, your drive can still be recognized by your computer. But when you attempt to access it, some error messages like “The drive cannot be accessed”, “The drive is not formatted” or “Raw drive is not initialized” will be popped up on your screen. The reason why the error happens can be different, and the most common one is that there is a corrupted sector on your hard drive or the MBR of your drive is corrupted.
So, how to recover data from external hard disk not detected? It is certainly possible if your hard drive can be recognized by your computer, though it can’t be detected or accessed. Wondershare Data Recovery, or Wondershare data recovery for mac is almost the best option for you to recover data if hard disk is not detected. You can use it to recover almost all kinds of lost files from partitions on your hard disk easily, including pictures, audio files, videos, document files, etc.
Download a trial version of Wondershare Data Recovery to recover data from hard disk not detected now!
23 Steps to recover data from external hard disk Not Detected
Now let’s do the recovery with Windows version of Wondershare Data Recovery. Mac users can follow the similar operation to process the recovery.
Step 1. Select recovery mode to recover data from hard drive not detected
After launching Wondershare Data Recovery on your computer, you can see the program as the image below.
Here let’s choose “ partition recovery” mode to start.
Step 2. Scan your external hard drive to look for partitions on it
Now you need to select your hard drive and hit on “Next” button to search partitions on it.
Here all partitions on your external hard drive will be displayed, and you just need to select the partition that you are about to recover data from and click “Start” to scan for data on it.
Step 3. Recover Data from Hard Disk not Detected
When the scan is over, all recoverable data will be listed in program window. You can check how many of your lost files can be recovered by viewing file names.
Then you just need to mark files you need and click “Recover” button to save them on your computer.
3What If External Drive Cannot be Recognized or Detected…?
The possible reasons for this issue can be physical damage, outdated Windows driver, bad sectors, etc. If trying another computer can’t solve this problem, you are highly suggested to send your drive to a device repair services.