Windows Live Movie Maker is famous for simplicity and convenience to sharing videos on YouTube and Facebook, and of course because it's a Microsoft product. But as you may know, it's not the upgraded version of the Windows Movie Maker in Vista or XP. On the contrary, Windows Live Movie Maker lacks some important features on the previous version of Windows Movie Maker. However, significant improvements are also achieved, at least that's what the announcements said. Frankly, if you are a video editing beginner, you will find Windows Live Movie Maker definitely easier to import camcorder videos for movie making and sharing with others, with a minimal number of editing features.
Now we will show you how to import camcorder videos to Windows Live Maker Maker.
Step 1: Install Windows Live Essentials
For some reasons, importing camcorders video to Windows Live Movie Maker requires Windows Live Photo Gallery. You can download it here: http://download.live.com/moviemaker. When installing, only select the software you want.
Step 2: Import Camcorder Videos to Live Photo Gallery
The followings are the detailed steps to import camcorder video to Windows Live Movie Maker. A wide range of camcorders are supported.
1. Run Windows Live Movie Maker - Click Start and type Movie Maker in the search box, select Windows Live Movie Maker in the search results to open it.
2. Depending on your camcorder device, do one of the followings:
- Connect your digital camera to your computer using its USB cable, and then turn on the camera, and if necessary, switch to VCR mode.
- Connect a video camera that records to an internal hard drive or flash memory card to your computer using a USB connection.
- Insert the flash memory card into a card reader (if you have one).
- Insert the DVD (already finalized in your DVD camcorder) into the disc drive on your computer.
3. In the program, click Import from device. If the 'Photos and videos will be imported into Windows Live Photo Gallery ' message appears, click OK.
4. In the Import Photos and Videos window, click the device that you want to import photos and videos from, and then click Import.
5. On the New photos and videos were found page, click Import all new items now, type a name for all the photos and videos, and then click Next.
6. Camcorder items are imported to Photo Gallery from where you can create movie or edit media using Windows Live Movie Maker.
Step 3: Add Camcorder Videos to Live Movie Maker
In Photo Gallery, select the check box in the upper-left corner for each photo or video you want to use in your movie. On the Create tab, in the Share group, click Movie. The selected photos and videos are added to the storyboard in Movie Maker. Now camcorders are imported to Windows Live Movie Maker finally. Long steps, right? And sometimes, you will be frustrated with ridiculous problems, such as incomplete video clips, desired video not appearing, or other unpredictable codec errors. Especially for the DVD disc created with DVD camcorder, you will have to convert your DVD/Video with video converter before importing to Windows Live Movie Maker, rather than importing from disc by DVD drive.
The below photo/audio/video formats are supported to import to Window Live Movie Maker. Check it out if your camcorder video are supported by this version of Windows Movie Maker. And if it is necessary, use the video converter to get Windows Movie Maker supported videos first.
Note: Sometimes you need software to view what's the real codec for the video to import to Windows Live Movie Maker. To do so, use the GSpot to find what video codec is used and install corresponding codec to import to Vegas. Download GSpot here.