How to Rotate Quicktime MOV File Permanently in Mac/Win (Windows 8 included)
Sometimes, you need to rotate QuickTime MOV files. For example, if you’ve shot videos sideways with your iPhone, the recorded QuickTime MOV videos could be turned 90 degrees (Note: iPhone records videos in QuickTime .mov files with high quality). So you should avoid shooting videos sideway. If you do so, you can use a high-quality MOV rotator to rotate MOV videos 90 degrees to make it normal.
You may also get portrait MOV videos from downloading and other sources. Never mind. Wondershare Video Editor (Windows 8 supported) not only supports QuickTime MOV format from any source, but also lets you edit all regular video formats including AVI, MP4, WMV, M4V, FLV, MPG, TOD, MOD, etc. If you're running a Mac, just use Wondershare Video Editor for Mac to achieve the same. Below I'll describle how to rotate QuickTime MOV files in Windows step by step:
Download Wondershare Video Editor:
Step 1: Import QuickTime MOV files to rotate
The program provides an album to organize your media files (Windows 8 supported). It also avoids modifying your original copy of the file. To rotate MOV file, firstly import it to the program either by clicking "Import" button on the primary windows, or by directly dragging and dropping files from File Explorer to the User's Album.
Step 2: Rotate QuickTime MOV file (Windows 8 included)
To rotate QuickTime MOV video, you need to first drag it from the User's Album to the video track on the Timeline. Then double click the MOV video thumbnail to display the editing panel. The Rotate options locate on top (4 buttons introduced below). Just click each to rotate or flip your MOV video. You can immediately see the result to the left preview window.
- 1: Rotate MOV video 90 degrees clockwise and continuously so that you can also rotate video 180 degrees, 270 degrees and rotate back to the original position.
- 2: Rotate MOV video 90 degrees anticlockwise and continuously, similar to Rotate 90 degrees clockwise but in an anti - direction.
- 3: Flip MOV video horizontally, upside down.
- 4: Flip MOV video vertical, left to right.
Rotating QuickTime MOV tips: What's the differences between Rotate and Flip?
The rotation doesn't change the shape of MOV video. It just changes the position of part of it. But Flip will turn over the shape of MOV video. With the Flip, the side which originally faced upwards will face down, like reflection.
Step 3: Export upright QuickTime MOV video
When your MOV file is rotated perfectly, click "Create" button to save it to a new file either in MOV or other formats. All regular video formats are supported including MOV, M4V, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MPEG, etc. Just choose a target format in "Format" tab. If you want to play video creation on iPhone, iPad and iPod, go to "Device" tab and select a device from the list. You can also directly upload the upright videos to YouTube or burn to DVD discs for watching on TV.
Rotating QuickTime MOV tips:
1. Wondershare Video Editor (Windows 8 supported) comes with more than 300 video effects to enhance your MOV videos instantly.
2. The videos on the video track of Timeline will be merged without interrupts and with optional transitions.
3. MOV rotator is also available on the Mac version (10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 Mountain Lion included). For more details, please refer to Video Editor for Mac.
More about Wondershare Video Editor:
Besides rotating MOV files, a variety of useful features are also included:
- Fine-tune options to enhance your MOV videos in clicks.
- Include common editing tools like Trim, Split, Crop, Merge, etc.
- Make a Picture-in-Picture video quickly and easily.
- Control the speed of video and audio.
- Change the voice of MOV video for fun.
- Add animated titles with built-in text effects.
- Share your video on TV, YouTube, Facebook, iPhone, PSP, etc.
Download Wondershare Video Editor: