Apple TV Guide
2. Supported Formats
4. Convert Videos
5. Play Videos
How to Play MKV Files on Apple TV in Mac/Win (Windows 10 included)
MKV is similar in conception to other multimedia containers like AVI, MP4 or MOV. It's more flexible in compression and usually renders in a smaller size with same quality video/audio output, especially for HD videos. Great-quality movies are increasingly seen being delivered over the internet via MKV format. However, it's a pity that many popular devices have no sight for providing support for this format, including Apple TV.
Tip: If you want to get more information on how to enjoy media on TV, check out this guide>>
There are at least 2 twos to play MKV on Apple TV:
Part One –How to Stream MKV to Apple TV with Wondershare Media Server
1. Since Wondershare Media Server is only an add-on for Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, you should download Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate first.
2. After installed, there would be 2 icons in desktop, click the Media Server, which looks like Wi-Fi icon.
3. Double click to launch it and then you will come to the interface as follow, all supported devices included Apple TV will be detected automatically in the bottom. Please note that all your devices – PC with Media Server, Apple TV and big screen should be under the same internet and make sure that all of them works well with latest software.
4. Click “Import” to import MKV files you want to stream to Apple TV, choose the supported device as Apple TV. Then all files will show as follow, after move mouse over, you will see the Wi-Fi icon showing on each file. Click the Wi-Fi icon to “Play on TV”.
5. After click the button, there would be a pop-up window, which will be the remote controller for your big screen. And your MKV videos will show up on TV directly. Please note that you can’t preview the video effect in PC with Media Server right now.
Part Two - Convert MKV to Apple TV-supported formats and then transfer to Apple TV
If you get a couple of HD MKV files and want to watch them on Apple TV, you have to convert them to Apple TV friendly formats first. To do this, a simple and user-friendly tool Video Converter is highly recommended. It features ultra fast speed (6X faster conversion) and 1:1 quality ratio output. Furthermore, it provides an optimized preset to fit Apple TV. Follow the guide below and complete the MKV to Apple TV conversion in Windows (Windows 10 included) quickly and easily.
Note: Two versions available: Video Converter (supports Windows 8Windows 8/7/XP/Vista) and Video Converter for Mac (supports Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8). They share the same feature. Below guide takes Windows Version screenshot.
Step 1: Add MKV files to this MKV to Apple TV converter
You can load MKV files to this program by clicking "Convert" -> "Add files" to locate your destination file or simply drag and drop your MKV videos to the main interface. If you have a couple of MKV files, load them together to save time and ease your conversion. After importing successfully, they'll show as thumbnails. You can fix the list order, assign the output file name and preview the videos on the right previewing screen.
Step 2: Choose preset Apple TV from ouput format list
Click the image icon on the right side of the main interface to open the output format list. Select preset "Apple TV" or "Apple TV HD" from "Apple devices" (the optimized presets usually work great).
Tips: if you need to play the converted files on Apple TV3, you can choose M4V from "Format">"Video" and then click on ""Settings" to adjust the settings as follows: Video(codec: H.264; Resolution: 1920*1080; Frame Rate: 24 fps; Bit rate: higher value ); Audio(Codec: AAC; Channel: 2 Channels stereo; Sample Rate 44100Hz; Bit Rate: higher value).
Step 3: Start MKV to Apple TV conversion
When you're satisfied, click the convert button to begin the MKV to TV conversion. This program is very efficient in conversion and the progress bar will show the remaining time.
Now all your MKV files can be played on Apple TV smoothly. Great Job! Download below video converter (Windows 8 supported) to experience hassle-free conversion!
See a detailed video tutorial: