Handbrake AVI: How to Copy DVD to AVI Using Handbrake
DVD is known for a large capacity, reliable reading, and long life usage, which makes DVD one of the most important storage medium in the digital world. However, for watching DVD movies on your computer, DVD may not be the best option. And for the protection of precious original DVD disc, copying DVD to AVI for easy viewing on PC becomes more popular.
Note: Converting DVD to AVI (Vxid codec) with Handbrake, you'll need to download the older version of Handbrake like 0.9.2. For 0.9.3 or above, AVI container and codec are dropped. Thus, we're discussing a tricky way to decode DVD to AVI. The video quality maybe on the lower side.
What you will need to copy DVD to AVI:
- Handbrake (for Windows, Linux, and Mac)
- The DVD disc you want to copy to AVI
- DVD drive
- Enough free disk space
Handbrake to AVI Step 1: Select a DVD source
After download and install Handbrake, launch the Handbrake and click the "Source" button on top to open the DVD drive browse dialog. Here select VIDEO_TS folder.
Note: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 may be required, and it must also be installed even if .NET Framework version 4 is installed because version 4 is not backwards compatible.
Handbrake to AVI Step 2: Make AVI output settings
Now select the output path by clicking the "Browse" button and choose a folder on your hard disk.
Next, choose a preset from the preset list on the right. Because you copy DVD to AVI for watching on your computer, "High Profile" recommended. Starting from this preset profile, change the video parameter to suit your needs.
The following parameters need to be changed for copying DVD to AVI:
1. From Title drop-down list, select the main movie. (Tips: the main movie usually has the longest duration)
2. Go to Video tab, and from the Video Codec drop-down list, select MPEG4(FFmpeg).
3. Go to Audio tab, choose the audio you don't want and click Remove button. Similarly, go to Subtitle tab and remove useless subtitles to reduce video size.
4. The magic trick: change the file name extension to .avi in the Destination field.
Handbrake to AVI Step 3: Start converting or converting
Now, it's time to copy DVD to AVI on computer. Simply click "Start" button. If you have multiple titles to rip, just click "Add to Queue" button to queue and start task from the "Encode Queue" dialog.
Handbrake AVI Tips:
1. The converted AVI files is still encoded with MPEG-4 codec, thus the video quality maybe on the lower side compared with encoded with Xvid. To convert DVD to AVI with excellent quality, you can try Wondershare Video Converter to help you.
2. DVD copy warning: Generally speaking, it's alright to back up DVD's that you own for personal use, but don't copy the DVD discs that are not yours. Please refer to your local law before copying DVD to AVI by this guide.
Product-related questions? Speak directly to our Support Team >>